Search This Blog

Friday, May 8, 2009

O RLY? YA RLY, I went to Paris: Semana Santa Pt. 1

In Europe, we don't call it Spring Break, we call it Semana Santa or Holy Week. This is the same thing as Spring Break in that everybody travels around to visit places. My Semana Santa went as follows: Aaron visits me in Barcelona for a day or so, then we both go to Paris for 4 days, than I back with Aaron to Madrid for a few days, before returning to Barcelona. In all, the trip cost around 400 or so Euros, including tickets, food and drink, and other travel expenses, so not bad actually (thats about $520.00 USD).


Anyways, we'll start the pictures off in Paris. We got off of the airplane and paid 6 E to catch a bus into town, where we got off to catch another bus to walk for a few blocks before coming across my Uncle John's place near Rue Sant Denis, an artsy neighborhood near downtown Paris (or in it I suppose, Paris is huge!). Before we get there, I spy an excellent and tasteless example of globalization.



Honestly, that couldn't be any worse than the KFCs here. Imagine all the nasty greasy food without the Southern charm, kinda gross. I went to a KFC in Europe once, and didnt finish my meal, instead throwing out my nasty chicken bites (cooked in olive oil, but poorly) and carbonated lemonade, which tasted awful.


Anyways, we got to my Uncle's place, made introductions, then cooked up a brief meal before heading to one of his friends' going away parties.


Here I am trying to learn how to cook...it may be a lost cause, but Uncle John's chicken pie was AMAZING!!!

So we go to the party, I have no idea what to expect, but in the end, it was tons of fun. Side note: I tried my best to learn French for this trip, and all I learned were phrases like "El chien mange du riz" which means "the dog eats the rice." Obviously, that wasn't helpful, but what was helpful was the fact that most Parisians speak English, so I was good. Anyways, the party was full of old friends, new faces, and good beats, so everyone was dancing and enjoying the atmosphere, which was honestly a very cool party.
For those who don't know, my Uncle John is gay but is honestly one of the most fun uncles that I have (Uncle Tim might tie him for that). This party was full of people who were all about having a great time. And my bias aside, it was a damn good party. When everybody is dancing, everybody is talking to each other, or everybody is eating (therefore there are no awkward people standing in corners), it is a damn good party. John claims that gay people know how to have a good time, and based off of this party, I have to agree. In fact, he told me that by going to gay functions, I could possibly pick up chicks (because honestly, everyone at a gay party can see a straight person instantly, and the girls would be very impressed by that apparently).

Anyhow here are some pics of the party:


Uncle John and Aaron


Me and Uncle John


Me and Uncle John discussing something, probably women or party atmosphere or something


Honestly, don't ask, it was his going away party

Okay, so we have a great time and eventually leave to stop by other establishments. On our way, I come across a beautiful, no, stunning Parisian woman (early 20s), so I ask her for a light and immediately get into conversation (score +1 for me!). The funny part is, I approach her asking in Spanish, and she responds in Spanish. So we start talking a bit when Aaron and John enter the conversation and we all discover that she can also speak English (+2 for me!). We talk for a while, then Aaron and John get the idea and announce they are going to leave us alone (score +3, I love my family!). Then, an unspeakable horror comes out of a bar and announces that they all want to go home. The beautiful, charming, attractive, lovely Parisian has bitchy friends who are cock-blockers. Well, nothing in life is ever perfect, and she left because of her friends. We won't go into my thoughts about that here, I honestly wish those drunk-bitch friends never existed.
After being cock-blocked by drunk-bitchy girls, John went home while Aaron and I checked out the surrounding neighborhood. We came across a suitable estabishment and had a few drinks while reminiscing over the entire night. It was honestly very interesting discussing the different ways to pick up girls with my brother. What I found is we have different styles (but you can't read those, sorry, but otherwise they wouldn't work), and we approach situations differently. Basically, my brother is better around a group of people he may know whereas I am better at random girls in random groups. I don't know why this is, it just is. And that's all you can read, the rest I will sell in my book "The Supplement to Mystery's Guide to Picking Up Women." Honestly, I don't know what I do sometimes. I have very "okay" game, but somehow these things happen.
Anyways, more to come later. Hope you enjoyed this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment