Search This Blog

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Movin 'round the Louvre: Semana Santa pt. 3

Thought the last post had a lot of pictures? HAHAHA!!! This one has a lot, so bear with me. It's not that long, just John, Aaron, and I hangin out at the Louvre: Paris' really freakin' huge museum.

Here's a view from the street:


Yeah, the Louvre is HUGE.

On the other side of that huge wall: A huge Arc that lines up with that golden obelisk in the background.


See it? Right in the center of that arc is the obelisk.
And all of that was meant to line up with these pyramids (which are really 3D diamonds, ?rectangular prisms?), but the architect was like, "Screw that, I do what I want!" So here it is.


My car salesman smile in front of the glass pyramid thingy.
And here's a statue of this dude on a horse, probably King Louis XIV, who was a pimp, but ran France into debt with all of his costly warfare.


Like I said, the Louvre is HUGE!!!
After wandering around a bit, we finally went back home to go another day... but I'll include random stories later! So, skip ahead a day. John politely kicks us out of the apartment and tells us to go exploring, so one of our stops is the Louvre! Aaron and I rent bikes and head to the Louvre, but the problem was that Aaron couldn't find a parking space (I did, haha!). So he had to walk around for nearly half an hour until he found one. In the meantime, I picked up a massive bottled water and sat around waiting for him. After much people watching, Aaron returned, and we went inside. Here's what we saw:

A headless Angel, I'm not sure if this was for luck.
This is probably Saint Francis, given the animals in the background. Notice the "Jesus Lasers."


"Jesus Lasers Fire!"

Well, I got tired of looking all these pictures of Italians and Saints getting struck by Jesus Lasers or freaking out over something or the other, so I took a seat in this one room, looked up, and saw this:


The Louvre is so pimp. So pimp.
Oh, and so we wandered around, saw a huge crowd around this one picture, and it was Miss Lisa, smiling. Honestly, I saw it so many times in books and movies, it wasn't really that exciting. But in case you wanted to see the famous smile...


I think Da Vinci was telling dirty jokes or something, that would make me smile while I got my face painted.
After avoiding the huge crowd, we walked around to the world art section and imitated it because, well, hanging around in a museum can be tiring and there's nothing like a little humor to pick you right back up.
WESTSIDE!

Smile big!

Why so serious?
The we moved to French art, and came across my favorite French painting:


Something about the romanticization of revolution...

Oh, and here's Napoleon being, well, Napoleon, and crowning himself in front of the Pope.


Then we got separated, but I made sure to take pictures of the Egyptian exhibit.


The Mexican pharoah, Jesus II
Okay, had enough? Well, you're in luck, because I'm gonna take a nap and stop writing. Aaron and I met back up and I made sure to "borrow" a very special stone from the Louvre. No, its nothing special, just a rock my Dad would appreciate. Anyways, we then made our way elsewhere, but I'll let you go for now and I'll catch a quick nap. More to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment