Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Getting Carnaval Supplies and Getting on the Train

This picks up after the bike ride in Sevilla, when we got Tapas at an outdoor restaurant with crummy service.

After tapas, we decided to make our way to the Corte Ingles, the Spanish version of Wal-Mart, to buy costumes for Carnaval. After settling on a 15 E budget, I buy a Green and Black party hat, a lei set, a pirate sword, a pirate gun, and an Irish flag for my costume. There wasn't much reasoning behind this. I just decided to buy whatever looked the most ridiculous, and my friends said that I looked like the gay Irish pirate that didn't make the cut for the Village People.

I wasn't the only ridiculous one. Alex dressed like an Indian with a Spanish flag, Mike bought a pirate hat w/wig with a Bob Marley flag, Josue got a Batman mask, an Afro, and a Hendrix flag, and Maxsim, well Max just got a pirate hat and a pirate sword. Here's what we looked like (Me, Alex, and Josue)



The POINT was to LOOK RIDICULOUS...


Anyways, we got ready at the hotel and then waited for two other API girls to get ready to travel with us. When we finally left, it was around 5 and we were all excited about going to the world's largest costume party. The girls lamented that they had no costumes, so I gave them my leis and my pirate sword. Equipped with just a ridiculous green hat, an Irish cape, and a pistol, I decided to call myself Guinness O'Shea (the other option, Captain Blackbeard O'Shea, got thrown out).


We stopped by a store to pick up supplies, and Alex and I were both lucky to choose plastic over glass or aluminum, because as we would later find out, the transportation people would only allow plastic. Not many others in our group fared so well. Anyways, we finally got to the train station and discovered to our dismay that the "free train ride with costume" promotion ended last year, so we all bought tickets to and from Cadiz.


Let me take a minute to explain the train station. (Bear in mind: it is five o'clock)

Chaos is the key word. Hundreds of people are running helter skelter shouting and screaming and singing and laughing, most already drunk. I see flocks of Dalai Lamas, several sets of Mario Twins, Rock Stars, "Germans," Cows, ???s, and more. Some are shouting over their megaphones. Others are busy knocking back the rest of their drinks. The air is vibrating with energy. I cannot imagine what Carnaval will be like if this is just the train station in Sevilla.


Anyhow, the group got split up, but Alex, Josue, Max, and I were able to get in line together. Here's a picture of the line going to Carnaval.



These weren't even the wierd people.

We finally got on the train and luckily spotted enough space for the four of us to sit on the floor. The train kept filling up more and more, and we had to readjust our positions numerous times to accomodate. Within several minutes, the train doors closed, the air heated up from the lack of ventilation and all of the human bodies so close together, and crammed like sardines, we rolled off into the sunset headed for Carnaval.

No comments:

Post a Comment