Search This Blog

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Orientation

I meant to write this last night, but got writer's block. I was telling my roomate Micheal about it and he said that I needed to stop worrying so much over details and get to the point already. I guess this also means include interesting stories along the way, so I'll try my best.

Orientation lasted two days. I arrived in Barcelona on Wednesday the 21 around noontime here. I was a bit exhausted, having to run around three different aiports and having not slept much on any of the flights, and being in a differnet hemisphere will do that to you. Anyways, one by one, we API students met up with eachother and made introductions. About an hour later the two directors came to pick us up from the airport and we were on our way to our hotel, the Hotel Granvia.

Having unpacked everything, a few of us decided to go out and walk around until meeting time. We did a little sight-seeing and tried to go into a bar called Obama (I kid you not) but it was closed. Instead we went elsewhere and had a pint a piece of Spain's most common beer "Estrella." At first I was a bit tentative about the entire API thing, since everyone but me was a girl. However, at the introductory meeting that night I finally met the rest of the guys and my current roomate Micheal, who is from UF but I'll forgive him anyways.

Actually, Micheal and I get along pretty well, both of us being kinda nerdy but also sharing the same interests in music and travel. Anyways, he mentioned that Barcelona and Espanol (futbol teams), were going to square off that night, so we asked around and found a sports bar to watch the game. Apparently, Barcelona has a rivalry like the GA-FLA rivalry. The rivalry between Barcelona is so intense, that if the game is held in Madrid (Team Real Madrid) and you are from Barcelona, you do not go to that game: your health and life are at stake for doing that (its the same the other way around). The main reason for this goes back to Franco's dictatorship: Franco was a huge Real Madrid fan, so Barcelona was never able to really win, or else risk their lives. Sports are crazy over here.

The next day we all went out to learn all about Barcleona in two tours: El Raval and Barri Gotic. We went to Barri Gotic first, and unfortunately I didnt take any pictures, but we saw many shops and a Gothic Church. El Raval was more intereting for me anyways, but we all had to especially watch out for pickpockets. El Raval is probably the most likely place for you to get pickpocketed, besides the metro, where within ten minutes, two pickpockets tried to rob us. Apparently, you are a prime target for pickpockets if you are a tourist so avoid or be aware of the following: If you are in a big group (like our tourgroup); If you are a tourist (speak Spanish, not English); If you are wasted (then you'll probably really stand out).

Anyways, I have some pictures of El Raval and Las Ramblas, this big walkway that divides the two neighborhoods of El Raval and Barri Gotic. But you'll have to see them next time because I am so hungry. I think I am finally over my jetlag, but that's probably because I slept until noon. Anyways, gotta go and shop for slippers (I'll explain that later).

No comments:

Post a Comment